Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chapter 1 - Prepwork


Writing Process


Good Grammar
Wonderful Type and Text knowledge
 Effective communicator on paper
 Understand the methods f writing
Teaching across the curriculum

Most audiences are complied of age groups 14-18.  We tend to write across the curriculu.  Using Historical authors as a sense of Illustrating words.  Also, slogans are used with appropriate text selections.

·      How narrow or broad shoud a reserch article be?
·      What is the format?
·      What are the barriers?

I will dissimate my research on a more clearly focused agenda.

As mentioned, at this stage, I have little organiztional skills and bad teaching habits.  I use the computers for all assignemt creations, and save them in folders which I print as I work.

I feel that the ultimate adjustment to make in my classroom is to provide a creative and enthusiastic envirnment that is not tarnished by out-of-line behavior.  I will need to have more classroom management and less close ended lectures. I have used learning maps in the past and they have proven to be a little effective.

I will make time for data review during my planning period.

List of Organizational Goals:

  • Prepare solid Units
  • Work the Units
  • Append the lessons and create sound rubrics
  • ·      Survey the lessons with stdents upon completion



Biggest Strengths:

 Experience (4 years of Project Building & Execution)
Ability to focus on the interested students/career oriented students
I have many Advisory Board Members that are willing to help
I have wonderful writing and communication skills
I wish to fulfill the big dream of 100% of Introduction students following all three classes and passing the standardized test, while retaining the information.

Biggest Weaknesses:

·      Lack of all necessary tools/equipment
·      Lack of Time
·      The class is an elective, meaning that students are sometimes pulled out in efforts to complete core assignments.
·      I lack necessary research and implementation skills
·      Lack the knowledge of finding GREAT resources

The most disastrous outcome woul dbe lack of praticipation in projectts, causing misbehavior and disruption in the learning environment due to lack of interest in topic.

While working backwards, I see a final result to suggest that my biggest goal in this research would be for EACH student to produce Solid works of art, enjoy and understand the processes, and utilize the processes to create better work based on application buliding processes that can be applied in basic problem solving skills.  

I wish to accomplish:

·      Completed website displying strong pieces of work for each Unit that is taught
·      Create semester long interactive groups in which students can discuss, blog, analyze, and VTS the work of other students offering constructive criticism as a means of improving art and learning tactful methods of delivery.
·      An Art Show which exhibits student work while profiling the student
·      Create an effective portfolio building expreience for future college and career students.


I am an extremely unorganized individual.  I feel as though it is my biggest weakness.  This begins first with procrastination.  I also tend to "ping" at times when I feel as though challenges become abundant.  For these reasons, I will confess I am NOT a good problem solver.  I usually resort to the basics.  If I am lost (as I have been since my arrival at Mizzou, I utilize a basic map to find my way.  I also ask questions.  I am not afraid to admit that I am human.  I feel this is a strong characteristic of myself.

I tend to be less prepared to make my way through a long term problem, hence procrastination.  I am able to prepare for a problem or situation, but not by using though out processes.  I typically address these issues  periodically in my mind as time goes on, then jot down potential solutions.  Much like I write a song.

Unfortunatelay there is little difference in my methods of problem solving, both short and long term.  I will be asking for help with this one!

I have personally made it a goal to dedicate this time in collecting data that could serve as a positive means of getting students excited about Art.  Some immediate sources for data collection would be:

·      Access of pass/fail rate of End-Of-Pathway Tests taken by student over the course of the last year (since its implementation).
·      Create a more organized series of examples of successful pieces, materials, and supplies.
·      Plan more accordingly
·      Implement warm up exercises that could serve as "Caffiene for Creativity."
·      Discuss project implementation with experienced Art teachers in the field.
·      Utilize Chattanooga State & UT-Chattanooga's archives and instructors as a means of creating more progressive  assignments that better prepare and engage students.

Create more "Visual Strategies" that could be used in efforts to push students beyond their initial scope of learning.


I feel it is my place as an educator to research and strategize what makes a student:

1.    Want to learn Art, and therefore, learn
2.    Appreciate its place in the world
3.    Retain the information given about Art
4.    Apply the information in problem solving skills in their everyday life
5.    Explore career opportunities in the field of Art.

My ideas and strategies derive from my desire to be a sucessful teacher.  One who teaches the necessary life skills for the survival of today's youth.  Also, to use Art as a means of cultural harmony in efforts to meet the demands of Humanity that I feel is lacking in todays "non-social" youth. I have compiled a list of questions that are interesting to me.  They are listed below:

1.    What motivates students to learn the basic elements in art?
2.    How can these elements be applied in daily life challenges?
3.    How can these basic elements build a solid foundation in teaching curriculum?
4.    How can I (as a teacher) utilize curriculum to motivate students to learn the basic elements of art and apply them to everyday life?
5.    How can I utilize the basic elements of art in each Unit's subject matter?
6.    How can we use the basic elements of art to help students relate to the cultural differences within the classroom?


Tensions In the Classroom:

·      Tensions begin to develop early with lack of respect from students.  No offense, but I am 38 years old, have served my country, have been in school consistently since 2004, and have been educated by the real world and its many culture.  Do not disrespect me.  This goes beyond the classroom in the lack of respect for authority that is missing in the home.

Tensions With Administration:

·      I feel as though tensions begin to develop with Administration when hard work goes unnoticed.  I notice a sense of tension when when on teacher works harder than others, and some get all recognition for the efforts of few.  Politics, if you will.
Tensions With the Curriculum:

·      Tension starts early in this category.  With the implementation of End of Pathway testing, and State mandated standards, it becomes quite difficult to cover all material within a limited time.  Especially in an elective environment (and an art class).

0 comments:

Post a Comment