Saturday, June 9, 2012

Blog # 11 - VTS Reflection


Reflecting on VTS

This far along, as I reflect upon my Unit, I am quite pleased.  My plan of trying to “teach outside of the curriculum” and tie art with U.S. History seems to be working.  I guess you could call this my efforts to show the importance of art in EVERY subject that is taught, especially how it played/plays a key role in the development of History. 

Also, I am excited as my VTS Unit master plan is beginning to come together, much like our country.  My Big Idea has sort of been to use a foundation (VTS I), and carefully tie foundations set forth by the colonists (U.S. History), in the form of a Nation coming together with my VTS knowledge coming together.  I guess, much like My Great VTS video, taken to the next level.  I hope this made sense.

From a critical standpoint, my biggest challenge has and still remains to be tying art curriculum (taken from standards) to VTS.  I feel like the absence of standards would better allow me to do more to promotion of art making.  I do understand that VTS is not only Fine Art, because that would limit it to one subject.  My struggle has been having to limit it to Graphic Design’s specific standards dealt to me by the great state of Georgia.

1 comments:

MJFranco said...

Try to look at your state standards through a VTS lens. I am sending to your email a copy of the Georgia Fine Arts Standards (general) that I fished off of the internet and have highlighted items that VTS either could or does reinforce/teach. Your state standards actually reference VTS (though the actual title is in error)as well. I'll bet by replacing fine art pieces with examples from contemporary visual culture (advertising, political campaigns, news photos, etc), which lend themselves quite well to VTS, you could use VTS very logically and seamlessly in your teaching. Email the graphic art standards to me and I'll be glad to have a look!!

Post a Comment