Saturday, June 9, 2012

Blog Topic # 10 - 2 Image Reflection




Harriet Tubman's Underground Railroad, Paul Collins


Runaway Slaves On The underground Railroad,  Artist Unkown

2 Image Reflection

I originally thought that by VTSing 2 images at once, that there would be a lot of confusion while VTSing.  I also went ahead and prepared myself to do twice the facilitation.  To my surprise, many wonderful things came from this experience for me. 

There were not any negative experiences for me, as this turned out to be the best VTS that I have ever facilitated.  I think some of the positives derived from the choice of subject matter within my Unit, its impact on the students, and the artwork that I chose.

I chose to label the images A & B, which I think helped the students easily reference and compare the two images.  It also helped me facilitate and direct easily and smoothly for the 2. 

A lot of comparing and contrasting that took place during the exercise, but also there was a lot of individual VTSing that took place concerning each image.  In other words, some students singularly VTSed one image at a time, verses comparing.  I would change nothing in comparison to how this VTS went.  19 Minutes!!

2 comments:

MJFranco said...

Okay, so I'm curious. You say this was the best VTS yet...What exactly made it so? Student engagement and/or enthusiasm? Variety of ideas that emerged? The level of thinking it generated? The experience for you as a facilitator in terms of skills mastery or flow?

These are two great images which portray the same type of event and yet have very different moods; even outlooks. I liked that you letter labeled each. Not only did it add some clarity for you and your students, but may also have implied that comparison and contrast was expected.

Black Mountain Ragster said...

I think as a whole that all facets that you mentioned were more successful. I think that if I had to choose, it was image selection. Even yourself took the time to comment on the images. They grab you, pull you in, and make you feel a certain way when you view them. You react, wheteher you wish to or not.

I got the same positive vibes when VTSing Brook Watson & The Shark. The image just begged you to talk about it. It proves to reinfroce the importance of image selection. I think that is where I have improved the most since VTS 1. I feel like I did a good job selecting images to support my theme.

Thanks for the comments and curiosity.

Post a Comment