Monday, April 30, 2012

Blog Topic #9 - Comparing VTS to Study

I chose to cut my reading and reflection short, as I found myself comparing and contrasting my personal experiences to the article.

VTS is by far the most revolutionary asset that I have gained knowledge of in my few years as an art teacher.  The VTS Unit implementation among my students this semester has greatly enhanced the learning environment, caused great challenges for me, as a teacher and writer of Unit plans, and has built a sense of unity within my group of advanced graphic designers.  Adequate planning is the key to VTS and careful selection of images and curriculum can only enhance its wonderful flavors and ask for a great experience.

As a new teacher, I have always struggled with classroom management.  One of the aspects that I constantly battle is the student's knowledge that my class is NOT considered a CORE class in reference to admittance into college or University, and Core GPA.  I find that the majority of students tend to focus less on courses such as mine, and are less likely to produce the quality of work desired, as their main focus is incumbent upon their CORE curriculum.  I feel that this creates barriers at times.  Keep in mind that there are students who desire a great deal to become graphic artists and place much emphasis on their success in my course.  Also we must consider that Good facilitation acts as a great filter in the scheme of the learning environment.

I have used VTS as a way to gain classroom control, and have found it to be a wonderful warm up tool in introducing project-based coursework.  For example, I have chosen to VTS the Beatles' Yesterday and Today album with each of my introduction courses prior to introducing them to the Album cover project.  I feel that VTS is a great too that I can use to further drive home the design process.

VTS (as with all assignments) requires a carefully place time in the learning environment.  I have learned that VTSing late in the class, often calls for less participation, as students are preparing to leave (or may have already mentally left the building).  VTSing in the afternoon has less impact on their abilities as early in the morning.  It is little "trial and error" instances that makes us a better facilitator.

Image selection and open discussion are key factors as well.  Students should feel comfortable discussing their works,  and the works of others, and I feel that VTS is a great way to bring them into that comfort zone of open discussion.  All in all, I feel that VTS and Hadjoannou's studies work hand in hand in adding educational excitement and openness to the learning environment.  I still have mountains to climb, in overcoming time constraints due to standards. but will use this study as a means of opening new ideas for open curriculum in my future courses.  Thanks for the article and insight!

2 comments:

whackandsmack said...

It sounds like you use VTS well to create visual literacy. My kindergartners transfer by wanting to VTS storybook pictures. Do your students transfer VTS spontaneously to their everyday media? If so, what kinds? I am looking for a variety of formats to use with my older students. Thanks.

MJFranco said...

I like the way you seemlessly applied Hadjioannou's ideas to your own teaching situation. VTSing the Beattle's album covers was brilliant!! The only further suggestion I would have is to VTS them again after students have completed the lesson/unit to see if they have acquired and internalized the design information and techniques that you wanted them to learn...It's a cool way to assess without haviing to use boring paper & pencil tests. If you get in the habit of videoing these, all you have to do is watch while you are filling in the boxes on your rubric or gradebook. You might increase the participation even more by telling them that you will be assessing their learning based on their post unit VTS video...(I'm not above using fear when push comes to shove!)

Keep me posted on how VTS does as a class management tool. I taught for 9 years in an elementary school that housed the district program for behavior disordered students and they were ANGELS during VTS. I'm convinced it was because they had something to say and knew that their contributions were valued.

Keep up the good work!

Post a Comment