Thursday, December 8, 2011

Blog Topic # 9 - Video - Lesson 4

Le Moulin de Gillette - Renoir, 1876

Student Engagement Learning

I decided for the 2nd VTS, to attempt another famous painting.  I wanted to make room for discussion, so I chose t a painting of much action.  The students seemed less excited to "jump " to conversation at this piece, but quickly began using the microphone and VTSin the first question.  Some initial responses:

  • "A special occasion."
  • "A wedding."
  • "A social gathering."
The students seemed to notice particularly, that there was an event occurring.  There seemed to be less initial reaction to the piece, which could have signified that they were observing more closely or that they were studying the piece a bit more thoroughly before answering.  Words such as "Maybe"  or "Might" were used in the VTS, which is an indicator that they were expressing their observations conditionally.

The students interacted quite well, although I noticed that I was trying too hard to "push them" and became to involved with the conversation (again).  I felt a sense of sarcasm in some of the reactions, as though some were trying to get a laugh during this VTS.  I found that it was somewhat difficult to facilitate this VTS as the conversation seemed sporadic at times.  

In Reflection

I made some key mistakes in this video.  I once again found myself introducing the title to the video, mistakingly revealing to the students.  This may have caused flawed influence on conversation.  I became too involved with the conversation while trying to push thjem to be more descriptive.  Also, when the student conversation was complete, I added input, which could skew their next response.

On a lighter note, VTS is beginning to make a bit more sense to me.  I have read the material, and began to understand its power.  I do feel blessed to be able to share ideas with Lindsay Wells.  We also are looking at doing some personal peer coaching and constructive feedback.  

2 comments:

MJFranco said...

Whoa again! What a change from the Butcher Shop Cover! You're also becoming very analytical about your own practice. AWESOME! Sometimes we are our own best teachers! Great post!

Black Mountain Ragster said...

Thank You! I am trying new things, as I progress. I feel like mixing it up will keep them wandering what is next!

Post a Comment