Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Blog Topic #7 - The Student

I am a firm believer that students do, in fact, respond to art based on their experiences.  I have really enjoyed learning the thought processes that occur within each individual student.  I have been taken to find that the most active students in the classroom are the most reserved when orally communicating a piece of art.  I, in turn, find it appealing and exciting that the less social students in the classroom are the more interactive during sessions.  I have also concluded that the more we VTS, the more relaxed a student becomes and the more easy for them to reflect on the works.  This being said, I have had to adjust my VTS focus from student to facilitator.  I have come to the current decision that I should provide less effort in trying to get a student to engage, and provide add more energy in attempting to facilitate.

In the group setting, the students seem a bit more relaxed than myself (in reflection).  I have come to understand through trial and error that tit is much easier to VTS a small group rather than a larger group.  I believe that it naturally makes the environment more intimate, and I feel like it allows for a much more open discussion.

VTSing the student has become a normal part of my daily classroom exercises.  I am not sure that I am facilitating appropriately, but I am looking forward to observing a fellow teacher as she VTSs her class.  I definitely feel that there is room for improvement in the ways in which I facilitate.  My biggest challenge to overcome thus far seems to be that I tend to become too involved with the student conversations.  Also that I do not prompt enough or use proper emphasis in ways to lead the student.  I am also focused on an entire group speaking, when I should be focusing more on the individual student at hand.  I have mountains, oh mountains to climb!


2 comments:

MJFranco said...

Again, very insightful. I was really taken by your observation that the quieter students have more to say in the context of an art discussion. My mom used to say, "Still water runs deep." You seem to be finding this out in your VTS experiences!

Black Mountain Ragster said...

Yes. It has been a wonderful experience, as I have developed with this process. I think the quite guys use VTS as an excuse to speak out!

Post a Comment