Monday, December 12, 2011

Blog Topic # 11 - The Bean King

The Bean King, Jacob Jordaens, 1638

Assessing Engagement Learning 

 It has come to my attention that the VTS experience is a powerful one for both myself and to the students.  I took some SOUND instructor advice and viewed, videotaped, and studied Ms. Wells as she conducted a VTS with my advanced class on a subject that I had previously VTSd, The Beatles Butcher Shop Album cover.  I learned so much from her coaching, and I am much more confident in the power of VTS!  I have conducted VTSs every day since, with every class.  This particular VTS of the Bean King I felt has been the most thorough thus far.  

The students were extremely willing to VTS this work of art.  I have found that action scenes really bring forth much discussion about the subject.  Also, I have noticed to comfortability that has taken place when preparing a VTS.  It ha become more "routine" if you will.  The students noticed a great deal about the work.  Descriptions were plentiful, and words such as "a celebration,"  were used.  One student said that it looked like everyone was "worshiping the king in the center,"and that the child in the bottom right was trying to "steal himself a bit of the spirits from the table."  There was much evidence to back up their descriptions as each student noticed how MOST of the figures were fixated on the main subject.  Students were linking their responses well, for example:  after the student made reference to the "worshiping of the king,"  another student chimed in saying that she felt as though they were "reaching for the picture of spirits."  This was a different observation of the focal point, but she was respectful in disagreeing, which brought more conversation forward.  I felt as though students learned the flow of the VTS patterns more accurately, and were able to elaborate more freely, in efforts to back up their observations.

Reflective Practice

The VTS experience is becoming a sound part of classroom activities.  In saying this, I am feeling that discussions are more fluent, more effective, and much more enjoyable.  I am learning so much each time.  For instance, I have learned that repeating what the student says back to them and pointing it out on the screen allows all student to relate to what the other student observes, and allows me to better interpret the work of art as we VTS (although I say or prompt nothing, of course).  I am still trying to find my way and develop a sound routine, so I did not or have not changed much since the VTSs have become more effective.  It is as if I am scared to change, as it is flowing so well. 

With this image, I think there was plenty to be surprised about.  I felt that the students were overwhelmed at all of the activities taking place in the image, and I was flattered to see how they noticed each and every detail, all the way down to the animals and how they are looking away from the subject as to make you wander what the message behind their looking away would reveal.   Big success with this one!

Planning For The Future

My next planning sessions will deal with taking them to the next level, without demanding change.  I want to put more focus on the individual in hopes to try and get more out of them individually.  This will come with repetition, and being less quick with calling on the next raised hand.  I have also found myself studying what the student says too much, or taking too long of a look at what they are saying.  I will move quicker through the questions and demonstrations in efforts to accommodate more free-form thought.

I heart VTS!!!!

2 comments:

MJFranco said...

The coolest thing about teaching a VTS class is that I can forget the neutrality we have to exhibit when "VTSing" an image and can genuinely celebrate the "aha!" moments of MY students! It sounds like your confidence and competence are increasing. Wonderful! Student willingness and enthusiasm is such a motivator for the teacher and undoubtedly enhances learning for the student. BRAVO!

Black Mountain Ragster said...

This one was FUN!

Post a Comment