Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Blog Topic #8 - Peer Coaching

The Beatles - Yesterday & Today Album Art
1966, photographer Robert Whitaker

VTS Source Choice

I am one to love controversy.  I think it is a wonderful way to get people to discuss.  Being a graphic designer, I felt that using a piece of art that referenced what a designer does would help the student to relate to what we "do" in my field of study.  What better controversial designs to unravel than the "kings of controversy" themselves, The Beatles.  This album, Yesterday And Today, was one of many covers chosen by The Beatles that brought about much discussion.  The Beatles were so popular during the year of 1966, that even their view or "opinion" on the Vietnam War was a valued one.  Everyone wanted to know what The Beatles had to say about the war.  Soon to follow was the coveted, "Butcher Shop Cover," in which The Beatles portrayed themselves on the cover as "Baby Killers."  They did so in efforts to reference America's involvement in the war, and their protest of the involvement.  Obviously this was a BOLD cover for 1966, and Americans were outraged.  Ironically, it is the only Beatles' album that lost money for Capital Records.  So, now you know the history.

The VTS

I chose to, once again, VTS my advanced class, as they seemed to be much more reactive than my other classes,  It was exciting!  After revealing the cover, you could hear the gasps!  There was almost no need to introduce the first question.  The students immediately responded to the first question, one after the next, offering plenty of informative adjectives such as "gory baby dolls," "Happy faces and Death mixed together."  "deathly carnage."  I found it quite simple (this time), to lead students without feeling as though I was forcing them.  As the matter of fact, I really needn't say anything.  

Upon the second question (What do you see that makes you say these things?), conversation was plentiful.  There was a brief discussion involving the happy expressions of The Beatles as they "sat in all around in death."  The guys were discussing curiosities as well, asking questions such as "Why are they in Butcher coats?"  I was pleased to hear the answer "Because they are trying to keep their clothes clean."  It was an extremely involved conversation, and I completely focused on staying out of the conversation.  It was by far the best VTS thus far.

2 comments:

MJFranco said...

Whoa! What an intriguing choice! BAsed upon the images you and Lindsay are selecting for your high schoolers, I'm beginning to think "in your face controversay" is what these upper grade students need! Fascinating! Exciting, too, when the momentum of a great VTS discussion takes over!

Black Mountain Ragster said...

Thank You! I was a bit hesitant with this one, as the title of the record was displayed. It was purely a risk I was willing to take. I must say that it payed off! This one went well. I actually used this piece as a coaching tool, as I had Lindsay VTS this image to a separate group while I observed. It went over better the second time!!!! I video taped Lindsay's VTS, and I was planning on uploading it for you to view. I'll do so and send you a link!

Post a Comment