Monday, December 12, 2011

Blog Topic # 12 - Pre VTS Image

Pieter Panis at the Gallows in Mechelen, Piet Mondrian, 1896

Why did I select this work of art?
I selected this work of art as a way of changing the mood.  I have been showing action based works that have gleefully showed celebrations in the making.  I chose this morbid image of little action in hopes to spark a different mood prior to the VTS, and also bring forth the same lengthy conversations.  

Why do you believe it is appropriate for your students, considering their age, stage, interests, and abilities?
I feel that gripping images such as this are plenty appropriate for High School students.  I also feel that this image can help portray the true savagery of the situation at hand.

In what way do you believe it will challenge your students? 
As I stated previously, I believe that the transition from celebratory images to a dark morbid image of death may challenge to student by making less room for conversation.  Action portraits have been wonderful to discuss, so lets see how relaxed and willing the student is upon seeing this gruesome image.

What features/aspects of the work of art and its narrative do you believe students will notice?  What might intrigue them?
I feel that students will notice the man being hanged.  I also feel like the students will notice the observers.  Also, the colors of black and white and grey will capture their attention.  I feel they will reference the ravens, but I am curious as to what they will say about them.  I think they will be intrigued by the whole image.  Definitely Mr. Panis!

2 comments:

MJFranco said...

Okay, I wouldn't be worth my VTS salt if I didn't ask, "What do you see that suggests to you that the hanged victim is male?" Great image and I'm glad to see the variety of imagery you are compiling. It should keep your students on their toes and, at the same time, inform you of what kinds of images will work with this age group.

Black Mountain Ragster said...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...You have picked my brain here. I made reference to the title in my Blog, not noticing what appears to be a skirt the subject is wearing. Maybe this backs up the importance of NOT giving up the title to would be VTSers. Good Observation, I must say. Thanks for making me dig deep. Maybe someone stole his pants before he was hanged....:0)

Post a Comment