Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Blog Topic # 14 - Pre/Post Test Analysis



The Meeting, Maria Bashkertseff

Summarization

Previous Post of Subject

I felt the class as a whole scored very well in certain areas (based on cumulitive averages).  The overall class average was 48 words per question.  I found that I had to really push them to get a sound and solid result using a thorough regiment of adjectives.  The class average was around 10 per question.  I found that the assertions with and without evidence were much more excusable than that of conditional language, as my class did not write very structured answers, but mainly focused on a more descriptive approach.  Upon discussing the artwork, the students began to have more revisions of thought, and really began to develop multiple interpretations of the piece.

Current Data Comparison

I was really skeptical of presenting the same piece of art to the students, as I was worried that writing would hinder the VTS capability (because we all know students today dislike to write).  My initial skepticism was abolished after reading the content following the VTS.  Word counts increased by almost 30 words per answer!  Almost every student gave much more detailed responses and wrote entirely in paragraph form.  This was  my big surprise of the VTS!  Adjectives increased to almost 16 per answer on average, and the conditional language was much more thorough.  I found the most exciting portion was the use of various possibilities being suggested.  The students seemed much more acute in their observations, and used wonderful suggestions such as "It looks like," or "Maybe they are,"  and my favorite, "If I were a betting man, I'd bet that."  Much more detail was explained in reference to the area in which the children are situated, and many more questions about where they were seemed answered this particular time.  Basing my findings on the rubric the improvement level was nothing short of wonderful!  I really feel that practice makes a better VTS!

Out of the Ordinary

I found it out of the ordinary that students wrote so descriptively about the subject.  They seemed more prepared on what to look for and what to write about.  They led themselves without being prompted or pushed, and they seemed to be very aware of the subject, unlike the previous initial VTS of this work of art.  I think that they are beginning to know what things to look for upon the initial viewing of art.  I would have loved to learn this tactic before taking Art Appreciation in college :0)  As mentioned before, the biggest surprise for me came with the increase of vocabulary and word usage.  I was a skeptic, and was transformed. Another surprise could be the continuous discussion and attention to the fence in the work.  Most every student made mention, or went into detail about the fence, which to me seems less significant compared to the actual subject matter.  

1 comments:

MJFranco said...

Yes, I am doing cartwheels over this! Very exciting results! Would you email me a pre and post writing sample from one or two students whose growth you believe to me most remarkable? I'm collecting data and writing samples and I'd love to have high school represented in my collection!

Post a Comment