Monday, April 30, 2012

Reading & Reflecting Barrett's 17 Principles

I found that the reading and reflecting of this particular article ties closely to the (what I consider) demise of my 3rd VTS in my Unit concerning U.S. History.  Barrett makes a connotation involving becoming "too personal" with a work of art in regards to its interpretation.  I knew that this would be a fine line in my venture in trying to Fine Art with U.S. History while sticking to my Standards, and promoting more research driven pieces of work in my design classes.

Barrett states that " An interpretation that is too personal is one that does not shed any light on the subject that is being interpreted."   This is the part of the reading that captured my attention the most, as it has applied to my "fine line."  While implementing my 3rd VTS, I chose the Signing of the Declaration of Independence by John Trumbull.  The piece is exactly as it states: Our forefathers signing the Declaration of Independence.

There are things going on in the picture such as, hands being raised, a main figure, delegation, and conversation, but there is little to be interpreted.  It caused for a short VTS with little comment and raised very little enthusiasm.  I planned on potentially omitting this Lesson as a whole, but felt it necessary in order to tie standard driven curriculum into my BIG IDEA.

I discovered that by giving less obvious images involving history, that I have gotten much better results.  I believe it is a fact that students who can relate to an event more accurately tend to be less involved with an interpretation.  Barrett states that artworks attract multiple interpretations, and I believe this to be true, so long as the intent is quite obvious.  Disappointing, but accurate article for this VTSer at this juncture.


0 comments:

Post a Comment