Monday, April 30, 2012

Blog Topic #8 - Semester Reflecting

It has been another GRUELING Semester in the post-tornado era of Catoosa County, GA.  I have often wished that, like Dorothy, I was whisked away to a wonderful, colorful land, of exciting new adventures in which teaching were of normal hours and workload was limited to the norm.  Workload has tripled in school, as we have played catch up from last year's devastations and played the role of double time instructor super hero to students who lost 6 weeks of curriculum multiplied by the enormous responsibilities of revised standards across my curriculum.  Also enter into OZ, the despicable idea of Standardized testing in the Graphic Art field.  It is because of these unreasonable requests that I have been forced (almost) to create a curriculum based nut that stretches across core classes, and ties back into a standardized way of life that I feel limits my abilities as an art instructor.  I have made a good go at it, however!

VTS is amazing!!!  I have been so inspired because of this wonderful addition to the field of art.  There are so many possibilities that can be implemented, given time and thought.  Hence, my biggest challenge this year...TIME.  I am a coach, a lead advisor, soon to be father, and catch up guru superhero pursuing a Master's Degree.  I have truly been overwhelmed at the amount of work that has been placed on my plate this year.  VTS has been the escape that I so desperately have needed ( I feel the students have benefited dearly as well).  VTS has given my students a chance to receive art, interpret art, and appreciate what it has to offer, if only for a short time before we start pounding out lessons on type, page layout, print and the works.  This semester I have found a way to make VTS a Savior of sorts to the guys.

I have found myself a more educated art viewer as a result of VTS, and also fell that my students are taking the curriculum well.  I wanted to challenge myself in the realm by tying more research driven projects as a means of building upon the design process, and also keep to the standards.  The projects derived from my unit (although tough to accomplish for students), have proven to be successful and the Unit has moved along in a timely and educational manner, much to my surprise.

The frustration for me comes with the limitations placed upon my class due to standards and standardized testing.  It is a complete distraction for the students to have to continuously move forward and become engulfed with 2 separate projects going on at once...If only there were more time.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment