Monday, April 30, 2012

Reading & Reflecting Barrett's Dialogue About Art

Dr. Barrett tends to hit home with me when reading and reflecting.  It seems that the topics discussed always point out something that I tend to be struggling with or that I have had concerns about.  Dr. Barrett makes reference to young adults in this article which, for the first time that I can recall makes a true statement that I feel is easily overlooked.  "Learners of middle-school age and older tend NOT TO WANT to describe what they see because they fear that they are stating the obvious and do not want to appear foolish, especially in front of their peers. "  This is a struggle that I have dealt with since implementing VTS in my classroom.

Dr. Barrett gives wonderful insight on how to approach this problem, and also how tot encourage active participation.  I have so many times heard similar statements as described "He/She already said what I was going to say."  When I hear these words, I find myself consistently moving on to another student in order to encourage longer VTS sessions.  I am appreciative of the helpful advice offered in this article in that it helps guide a High School facilitator into encouraging vocal expression in THEIR OWN WORDS.  We so often overlook the obvious when in the middle of a session, I feel (at least  I do).

In Dr. Barrett's reference to communal vs. personal meaning, it is essential that one recognizes that teens tend to "go with the group."  They are less likely to speak if their interpretation is different than that of the group.  I feel that understanding better the reasons why, i.e. FEAR, will only help me become a better VTS facilitator.  Thanks Dr. Barrett!

0 comments:

Post a Comment