Monday, April 30, 2012

Blog Topic #7 - VTS Image 3

Signing of the Declaration of Independence, John Trumbull


I chose this VTS as part of Lesson 3 of my BIG IDEA - Early American Art

This image, in comparison to the introductory image is of less similarity.  It is safe to say that this image selection was an "out on a limb" one.  There is little to be said about the image, as it portrays a moment in time that MOST of us are familiar with (I hope).  This was a Lesson within my unit that I considered dropping due to its obvious historical nature.  I liked my ideas for the project, therefore I chose to go ahead and VTS this image in efforts to open the project.  

In terms of complexity and details, this image offered little.  Again, I was aware of this going into the VTS.  THere are minute details such as raised hands and witnesses, and little action.  

In terms of ambiguity and meaning, this painting offers a lot.  It offers a significant moment in history, but may have offered too much meaning and too much information for the viewing students.  In other words, they were perfectly able to figure out what was going on, and offered little insight to the painting's overall appearance. 

There is little diversity, historically, but in retrospect, it offers a great deal of value.  It opened the door for America, and officially declared independence from Britian.

The style is appropriate for its time and is Fine Art, as all of my images are.  These images were chosen for the purpose of research and data collection. 

I feel as though I also chose an inappropriate time to offer this image, as the students had just returned from a week long break, and it was my 1st Block that were chosen to VTS.  I fell that this could have played a part in the lack of participation that was presented.  I feel that the students were not motivated to be in school, much less motivated to actively engage in a VTS.  This was a learning lesson that I got a lot out of.


0 comments:

Post a Comment