Monday, April 30, 2012

Reading & Reflecting Environments of Authentic Discussions

This is an interesting study focused on the learning environment.  My dream class!  I cannot seem to get over the idea of standards when reading articles such as this.  Am I skewed?  I know that I can learn a lot from Mrs. Ethnis and her view on testing, but with the standards that have been put into place in my curriculum, I tend to find it impossible to have a class based on these ideologies in which the curriculum is covered thorough enough in order to pass students on a standardized test.

A wise person once said that it is upon boundaries that creativity is formed (or something like that), and I cannot seem to grasp how an open discussion forum allows for standardized learning.  I personally believe that classroom standardization plays a major role in the reason that these classes are virtually non-existent.  The theory is solid, the ability is hazy to me.  Any offered insight as to how to make this work would be GLADLY accepted.

I did gain some confidence after referencing the seven descriptors listed on page 374 of the reading.  I have found that group discussions of collaborative assignments promote learning, but I have also found that group involvement tends to get unruly, and one student ends up doing the work while others socialize.  Not in every case, of course.

I have found that exuding a comfort level in the class does help with a students willingness to learn.  My biggest surprise in the article came with the study of Mrs. Enthis' take on testing. This It gave great insight as to how to approach the testing and standards in the classroom.  I DO FEEL as though every moment spent not covering test curriculum is a moment wasted.  I also feel that VTS is an educational way to divert form the standards, and have had a wonderful time trying to tie it into curriculum that works with my standards.  It is a practice that will continue well beyond this coursework.

0 comments:

Post a Comment