Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Week 4 - Read & React

Digital Diet Chapters 5 & 6

In Chapter 5, the book introduces VOIP  as a means to communicate via the web.  Skype, was the example that was used in chapter 5, and proves to be a powerful VOIP tool as it is not only effective, but FREE!  The only other comparable option that I can think of (and I am not an expert), is Facetime.

In reaction to the reading, I was overwhelmed.  I am not a person who likes being in front of a camera, nor am I someone that likes to hear myself recorded.  This makes it difficult for me to get it together when skyping and facetiming.  I must admit it was nice when I was in Mizzou this summer getting to meet up with Mandy, my son, Charlie and newborn son, Sam.  So, in retrospect, it has its rewards.  

On an educational final note, I find that it is a powerful tool in the classroom as well!  Our Science classes just skyped an educational lab with Harvard!  Imagine that!

In Chapter 6,  microblogging was discussed and introduced.  I am not a social networker, but if I were, I would be a microblogger.  I do not like reading/typing long entries.  Limiting posts to 140 words makes it a better option for me, if I chose to pursue one.  I do not see how this could be an effective tool in the classroom with sites like edmodo out there.  

In Chapter 8, Social Networking was discussed, and I must say that it COULD be a valuable asset from the standpoints of clubs, groups, classes etc.  It is hard for me to stay on top of things like that, and I am mostly disinterested in most people's lives, so I see no benefit for me, personally.  I hear of numerous cases where teachers and students are getting in trouble for unprofessional relationships on facebook.  I just dont like putting my personal life out there for others.  

EDMODO is a Social Networking educational site (much like LORE), but looks, and acts like facebook.  In a social networking place like that (where you have more control, as a teacher), I feel more safe and in control of what is said and done.

Brooks Young Chapter 5

Wow!  after reading this, I can easily see how the social revolution took over the planet.  Can you believe that most did not have internet in the early 90's?  HI-LARIOUS!

Diet, Chapter 9 introduces Voice thread, and screenr.  I loved playing with screenr in boot-camp.  I can see it being a VALUABLE tool for me when teaching things such as Photoshop and drawing technigues in Illustrator.  That is the most valuable asset that I have discovered this week.  Voicethread, I could not figure out.  I found it somewhat difficult to use and of no comparison to screenr.

When discussing the pros/cons of Social Networking in the classroom, I am still a bit torn.  To me, its kind've like getting the first ipad in a sense that you kinda want to "wait it out" and let them fix all of the "bugs" first.  I think as the internet continues to evolve, a better social solution will be put in place for the classroom.  I can't wait to see the next internet revolution....What will it be?


0 comments:

Post a Comment