Sunday, December 16, 2012

Reflect: Multitasking

Today,  for my experiment, I chose to multitask.  I am NOT a multi-tasker.  It was very difficult for me to try and take role, do paperwork, teach, try to draw something, and help students with questions.  As a matter of fact, it left me with only 1 page of my comic strip drawn, aggravated students, and a return of the very headache, that I am being medicated for.

I am not a good user of time.  My organization skills lack in all sorts of ways....I am one who believes in the statement in the book: Gamestorming that I read in this class in which it makes reference to the fact that it is OKAY to not use a process to get something done.  That as long as the product is finished on time and is a quality product, that it is okay. I believe that  as teachers it is almost a necessity to multitask.  I continually get flack for not getting my forms in early enough or not taking role soon enough, or  this nit pick or that.  BUT, I am the only teacher that has put art on our schools walls.  I have the highest pass rate of Career Tech Program exams, and have a higher job-placement than any other program.  It is because I focus on the important things first.  My students, and their needs.  Second is program jobs.  Print jobs, production jobs, design jobs.  Finally, it is my time log, my paperwork for field trips, my extra duty pay paperwork, my coaching...If there is anything I could wish, it would be for the ability to better organize these things and keep them managed.

So, my short body of work will consist of a comic strip in which I have been wanting to make for years.  It is of some alien characters that I have invented.  Quick Storyline:

A group of alien hippies are in a band, and travel all over the universe in a VW bug, trailing a Silverstream camper.  Their goal is to bring that visiting world "PEACE"  by putting on a concert in which all people come together to see.  The story begins with their choosing "EARTH" and the comic builds upon them preparing and performing the concert.

Band Members (Main Characters):

Even Styler - Lead Vocals
Hemi Jendrix - Guitar
Beezer Gutler - Bass
Wax Meinberg - Drums

The characters have already been developed and fine tuned over years, so I figured I could knock some of this out easily while multitasking.  WRONG...I simply cannot multitask.

I gleamed insight because I was able to actually start something that I have wanted to start for a while.  Also, I actually made the time to at least get started.

I am uncertain as to how this will translate to my classroom, as I felt as though I was neglecting my students while trying to draw as they worked.

Here is what I came up with....


0 comments:

Post a Comment