Monday, January 23, 2012

Blog Topic #1 - The Ragster Review & Forecast






The Ragster Self Assessment
Well, it is a new semester and I am so excited to take my VTSing to the next level.  Hopefully I will fulfill all of my "jedi" requirements, and become a "VTS Yoda!"  The first step was to do some follow up reading and then review events and videos from last semester.  Let's set this into action, and get a VTS goal for this Semester.  Below are the answers to the self assessment test

        

 1.  Based on the data recorded on the table above:

·      Which facilitator behaviors are you using consistently and well?  What impact is this consistency and skill having on the discussion?
I feel like gesturing is my most consistent and skillful behavior.  I feel like this keeps the student involved in the discussion and also prompts them to respond.
·      Which facilitator behaviors are you omitting or using less consistently or successfully?  What impact is this having on the discussion?
Getting all the way to question #3 without being sidetracked or driven to answer it before it is prompted.  I feel like this has neither positive nor a negaitive impact.  I feel as though it probably reduces time spent conversing with a student and gaining all of the appropriate information.  





2.  What did you learn about your own practice while watching this video?          
 Still needs A LOT of polishing…Much like diamond in the rough :0)
            

3.  What did you learn about your students’ engagement and/or participation while watching this video?  

Students are much more engaged by the end of Semester 1 than at the beginning.  I feel like I am maintaing a positive control over the discussions.
           
 4.  Did anything surprise you as the result of watching this video?           
Not this time….I have seen it before, so I knew what to expect. 
             

5.  Did the video reveal anything you might need to work on and how do you think you might be able to accomplish this?
·      Getting to Question 3.
·      Using more effective  paraphrasing techniques
·      Paying more attention for students with hands up.
·      I felt like my back was turned to the class more than it should have been


A Look Backward / A Potential For A Leap Forward
I learned a great deal from self-assessing the video that I completed the semester with last year. I feel like my gesturing is my biggest strongpoint, while my inability to address each student comment every time, every question, coud be my potential biggest weakness.  I am definately not as camera shy as before which I believe serves for a better VTS experience.  THis session/semester, my main focaus will be the student, verses the instructor.  Much more emphasis on addressing their needs, and quit primarily focusing on mine.  Look forward to it!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rusty. Isn't it fun to watch the video's? I had a blast watching mine, as much for the seeing the kids responding to each other as assessing my own teaching.
I am wondering what you mean by "my inability to address each student comment every time " Is it they are so eager to talk lots it comes pouring out and its hard to keep up? Or is it they all want to share and its hard to get to each person? I certainly had issues with the first example and found I had to bring them back to focus and settle them a little. It helped a lot . At first I was afraid it would curb their enthusiasm, but it didn't. Looking forward to the semester!

MJFranco said...

Your reflection was candid and insightful. Comfort with the method and the ability to ignore the camera will pick up the discussion pace, I'm sure. Also, as you step back from the "teacher as information source" role, I think you'll find that student dialogue will expand exponentially. You will have a new crop of students to work with this semester as well, right? Excited to see how you continue to perfect your VTS craft (and the ART that the students produce as a result!)

Post a Comment