Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Ragster Presents...Halloween Candy Self-Portraits

So, here's the thingy......Ms. Lindsay Wells (Heritage High Art Guru, Extraordinaire, Master of the Universe, 
He-woman of Art), and myself have created and currently conduct a Portfolio class for Seniors that are seeking entrance into undergraduate studies in Art.  We were flabbergasted to discover that hardly any student is prepared to show a portfolio that is worthy of scholarship, and more so of the portfolios that we viewed, NONE of them contained an observational drawing. 

So.... It was back to the basics! 

I wanted to come up with an observational piece that wasn't so boring for the guys, and keep them interested (especially since they were giving us their valuable social time after school to help better prepare themselves).  
So this was the result: 

·     Buy a butt-load of Halloween Candy
·     Get yelled at by my wife for buying a butt-load of Hallowee ncandy
·     Take it to school and hide it from the knuckleheads
·     Take pictures of each student and blow them up to appropriate size (11x17)
·     Have students draw/trace contour lines of their head
·     Have students create their faces using observational drawings of Halloween candy
·     See the result 

I have to admit that I was a bit concerned with what the turnout would be, (as was Ms. Wells, The She-Master of Art, Divine Creator of the Art Universe, Smack Salvador Dali in the face and get away with it because she is so awesome in art), because we believed that this might be a bit advanced for them.  But we gave it a go anyway.  I wanted to share the results.  The lesson that I learned was:
 
"Never be afraid to push your guys beyond what you may feel is their "scope."  They may produce some pretty good mouthwash!" - A Wise, Wise Profit - My mom, Circa. 1988. 

Check out some examples!


Senior Student

Senior Student

Senior Student

The Ragster (Student Example)

7 comments:

Sheryl Lamme said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheryl Lamme said...

Darn you Blogger....so I had a typo...I had to fix it. MUST you announce to the world that I removed my post?????

These are fan-flippin-tastic, thanks for sharing!!! Maybe I'll see what my 6th graders could do with it. Wonder if I'd be stuck with the yucky candy that no one wants if I wait until the day after Halloween to buy my butt-load of candy. Then again, is there such a thing as yucky candy that no one wants when it comes to sixth grade?

Amber said...

These are super cool (and creepy, which I like). Have you posted your work for us to VTS, or are we to VTS these?

Amber said...

Hmmm, maybe we are to VTS the example...

Well, I think I know too much because I read you post.

Again, very cool. And your mother seems like a very wise woman!

Unknown said...

Love these!!!! How fun!

Amber said...

Do you know Vik Muniz? This work reminds me of his. Watch his documentary if you haven't yet and get a chance.

A somewhat recent article from the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/arts/design/24muniz.html?pagewanted=all

MJFranco said...

Giuseppe Arcimboldo comes to mind when I see these; a contemporary interpretation, at least. I think I've heard him called the real father of Surrealism. (You could offer extra credit, too, for those who could spell his name!)

Great images! Thanks for posting!

Post a Comment