Sunday, June 9, 2013

Blog # 1 - Torbett 8740

I'll tie all chapters to personal transformation...

Eisner states thats 'transfer' occurs when a student takes what they have learned in the classroom and is able to connect it to the world beyond it; they are able to extend or apply what they have learned to other domains.  I find this to be true, and also, quite possibly one of the biggest challenges for an Art Education teacher, as many interpret works of 'art' to be a product of your environment (i.e. culture, surroundings, etc...), OR things that someone has already learned, rather inherently or purposely.

The Challenge....

 Understanding that creating art is also problem solving.  "The point here is the kind of deliberately designed tasks students are offered in school help define the kind of thinking they will learn to do"  (Eisner).  We as art educators, must design curriculum-based activities that students will be able to apply and make meaning to both their 'pallet' and their 'place in this world.'

Meaning is conveyed in 3 different forms or treatments:

1.  Mimetic - Forms that look or sound like what their intention is.
2.  Expressive Form - Forms that represent how "feeling" is achieved
3.  Conventional Signs - Socially agreed-upon symbols that refer to ideas, objects, or events and the like.

We must promote the child's ability to develop his or her own mind.  In doing so, we must understand that all children come from different environments in which they live.  It is essential to recognize differentiation in order to allow each child to form their own concepts and reflect the use of growth and mind.

It is in diversity and differences that the true focus of art education lies.  My principal once said to me an interesting statement while performing an evaluation.  He said that my job as an art educator is "unique" one in comparison to the jobs of other teachers...I teach a certain technique or application, and have to adhere to 30 students using that application, each in a different way.  Unlike mathematics, where 2+2 = 4, and thats it.....

It is a main focus of my program to prepare students to be work-force ready in my field upon completing my pathway... I have 3 Semesters to make a student ready to go to work and compete against me in my field.  A lot is put into my classroom, especially since most (to all) of the students coming to High School in my county have never taken an art class, as one is not offered until High School.  I tend to harp on this a lot, and there is good reason.   Eisner states that students today need art education now more than ever. They need the basic skills that include analyzing and communicating information, the ability to work with others, a sound knowledge in technology, and finally the ability to allocate resources.  All of this criteria becomes evident when making art.




1 comments:

Sheryl Lamme said...

I wish I could convince my administrator that I differentiate instruction! LOL

Post a Comment